Students must study and evaluate the social and ethical issues involved in the use of tutorials, training and wizards. These may include:
* the balance in responsibility between an individual and an organization for training
* the need for IT companies to consider global and cultural diversity when preparing training and tutorial software
* the requirement of organizations to provide training when implementing change.
Knowledge of technology
In order to study and evaluate the social and ethical issues involved in the use of tutorials, training and wizards, the student must have an understanding of related technological concepts. These may include:
* key terms—tutorial software, training software, wizards and assistants, help menu and help features, “Read Me” files
* using wizards, assistants and online assistants in the design and creation of a product, for example, desktop-published documents, slideshows, web sites.
Tutorial software: Computer programs that give instruction in how to use the software program or system that they support. These programs simulate the capabilities of the system.
Training software: Computer programs that training, usually job related, e.g., how to perform tasks, about company procedures or policies. Training programs may also be used to teach basic knowledge and skills. They permit users to learn at a pace determined by the user, easy repetition of material, and some give information in response to answers or choices made by the users.
Wizard: A program that guides users through a sequence of choices and helpful information, leading to the completion of specific tasks such as software installation, mail merges, or computer configuration. An assistant is able to answer specific questions.
Help menu and help features: Almost similar to the wizards and assistance this feature is designed to provide the user with help and is generally provided in most software’s such as the tutorial software, training software and most word processors. This feature generally provides the user with a search in which the user can type to what he wants a solution to.
Read Me files: A “read me” file contains data relating to other files which are in a directory or an archive. It is very commonly distributed with most computer software these days. These files are called text files and are usually under these types of names TXT, README.1ST, READ.ME, or simply README.
Training is needed to learn something new or to improve something that we need to improve.
An employee needs to learn new accounting software in his company before he can use it.
A teacher need to improve his knowledge in his subjectm before he upgrades his subject into next level.
For these kind of reason, training is needed, especially when we are facing the new software that we will use for our daily work.
There are some types of training:
May be we can call it Traditional Training. This kind of training usually involves a person who is willing to learn something. He go to institution or company that provide the training. The cost is relatively low. It is also possible for some company who wants their employee to be “upgraded”. They normally send an employee to go to the training sessions which great expectation that their employee will gain some new experiences and will be more smarter than before.
– used to make a large group of employees
– the cost is relatively low
– sometimes consume longer
Recently, we have ever heard about InHouse Training. This kind of training will invite some people from outside to come, usually in a big company and they will prepare to train them for specific program. Company needs to allocate some extra budget to do this kind of training, since the people normally will provide everything, even sometimes laptops that use for training and the software that needed for training. Since the cost will be quite higher than the normal training, InHouse Training will be followed by leaders or executive only. And after the training is over, the leaders can share their experience to their employee.
– Got a chance for more private session
– Training cost is much higher than regular
The requirement of company to provide training when implementing change
If there are changes in the system, employees must be adequately trained to deal with and use that change efficiently. A simple example would be a new database system for a hotel. One can’t expect to change the system one fine day and hope all the employees can keep up with the change. New features and characteristics need to be explained to maintain efficiency. If no training is given, many unnecessary mistakes will be made before a level of efficiency is reached.
A hotel receptionist, could theoretically, misunderstand the system and book a week-long guest for an extra day. This could cost a lot for the guest who may remain unaware of the mistake.
Practice makes perfect and training accelerates the training process making life easier for the company and the consumer- who don’t suffer due to mistakes caused by not understanding changes. In some cases, training not only accelerates but is the only practically way of learning something. Telling a bunch of workers at an Ad agency to suddenly start using Photoshop to create layouts instead of paper would cause problems without training. It would take aeons for them to teach themselves and achieve a reasonable level of efficiency. The consumers, people ordering the Ads will probably suffer as a result of poor initial quality.
As Information Technology evolves, there is an opportunity to learn in digital format. A lot of IT Stores sell digital media for learning purposes nowadays. They are easy to install and normally really easy to learn and understand.
– Easy to setup and install
– Can be installed on as many as computer we want
– We can repeat it for some section that may be missed
– Can learn anywhere and anytime
DIGITAL LEARNING vs. HUMAN LEARNING
Some matters to discuss:
1. Identify one IT task that may be performed by a wizard.
2. Users often get into difficulties when using application software. They may not always know how to make the application do exactly what they want. Apart from using wizards, describe two other IT methods that can help them to use the application software successfully.
3. Examine the extent to which it is the responsibility of the company, rather than the employee, to pay for training.